Skip to main content

Respect

Jodie Foster gets described as gay or a lesbian in public media since her famous "coming out" speech -- in which she didn't use such words...
The Internet tells me it's been about a decade since Jodie Foster's so-called coming out speech. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the piece linked above, but I often have done substantial more research than gets included in anything I write and my recollection is that some of what I read indicated that the LGBTQ community had been giving her a hard time for YEARS before she delicately admitted something like "My co-parent is this lovely person right here (who looks like a woman and has a female name)."

If you are LGBTQ, why would you do that? YOU want rights and respect for YOU in the form of "The people of planet Earth need to RESPECT me regardless of my sexual orientation or gender identity!" AND your solution is to be openly disrespectful and hostile to a suspected member of the LGBTQ community?

What is WRONG with you?

I had difficulty finding the recent post on THIS site quoted below because it doesn't use the name on this site of the celebrity I wrote about elsewhere and speculated could be gay and MY personal BIAS says I think they are probably gay.
I've just written a piece elsewhere that hypothetically could have been posted here and wasn't. It's not posted here in part because I feel like posting it here would be a stronger accusation "You're REALLY GAY, aren't you?!" and I'm not interested in putting anyone on the spot, which is perhaps a silly reason given my lack of traction or traffic.
Very famous people in the public eye are used to being talked about and have probably made their peace with not everything being accurate. If not, they probably have a PR person going "Can you STOP already? Get over it. There's no such thing as bad publicity -- except when YOU are actually THE PROBLEM."

If you are LGBTQ and wanting to talk about something like your role models and you want to say something like "She seems gay to me and that's a good thing in my eyes." that's FINE.

But if you want the world to treat LGBTQ people better, maybe you could start with being respectful of famous people you speculate might be one of you.

It's possible to have conversations with your friends or whatever and point to famous people and say "Well, rumor has it she's living with a chick and her net worth is $$$$, so I don't think it's to split the rent. So maybe check some of your assumptions at the door because while I don't KNOW if she's GAY, YOU don't know for certain she's straight EITHER."

You can speculate and strongly argue that other people don't know for sure without acting like a big name star is obligated to wear stuff on their sleeve for your convenience that's likely to be a boatload of trouble for them.

You're trying to DITCH boatloads of trouble. Why would you ADD to the problems of a famous person you believe is probably gay and bust their chops in the name of "You ASSHOLES need to be more RESPECTFUL of MY RIGHTS!! And like let's set the example here for how to be respectful by throwing one of our own under a bus!!!! GRRR!!! Because MY LIFE needs to be easier and fuck all y'all!!!!! Even if you are GAY!!!"

I try hard to talk about stuff that works and I'm aware that the LGBTQ community feels it needs more role models or representation or visibility to further its political goals, but I don't think that's the kind of attention that's needed.

That looks to me like putting out the fire with gasoline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...