Skip to main content

A couple of coming out scenes

I just randomly tripped across this scene from Rosanne. I have swiss cheese for brains and I'm mixing up Rosanne Barr with someone else and misremembered her as being gay, so I was expecting something better.

The show is about an uncouth working class family and it's not really my cup of tea, but it's not really a homophobic scene either. 

I will say that I personally intensely dislike the practice of trying to fix people up with a date. That's just not something I would do.

I think the world would be a better place if parents would stop trying to tell kids from an early age that they will grow up and fall in love with a member of the opposite sex and get married. Like just let your kids figure out their sexuality themselves. You probably don't have your own sexuality figured out that well. So butt out.

So I made a note of the clip because I write about LGBTQ stuff and figured someday I might do something with it, and then I tripped across a longer clip from what is apparently a movie I'm not familiar with.

It's on a channel called Focus Features and this is their two blurbs:
Michael (Jim Parsons) heads to his boyfriend Kit's (Ben Aldridge) apartment to hide evidence of their relationship, then meets Kit's parents at the hospital when he returns. Later at Kit’s apartment, Marilyn (Sally Field) and Bob (Bill Irwin) find out that Michael is actually Kit's boyfriend.

The story of Michael Ausiello and Kit Cowan's relationship, which takes a tragic turn when Cowan is diagnosed with terminal cancer.
I was able to find an article about it that indicates it's based on real life events. There's a Wikipedia page for it and it's called Spoiler Alert.

I tend to like stuff based on real life events, but do keep in mind that it's never one hundred percent accurate. There's always memory holes and friction between privacy, reality and trying to convey something to an audience of strangers.

But there should be a kernel of truth there with Mom being extremely offended that her son didn't tell her sooner.

Here is the clip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Terminology, History and Context

From a previous post called The Closet : At one time, I thought that being a "closeted gay" meant something like you slept alone or dated same-sex people secretly. I have come to understand that term differently over the years. I've just left a comment on Reddit in a discussion about the past stating again that at one time I thought closeted meant handling things discreetly but that's not how that word gets used. I did so because of a reply to an earlier  comment of mine where the reply says "We were closeted. To do otherwise meant you'd lose your job." because I talked about the fact that we don't really know how LGBTQ stuff was handled because the written records we have don't really give you a good picture. I initially thought my "weirdo" interpretation of closeted was me being stupid or something but this little exchange has me rethinking that. I'm thinking now that perhaps at one time closeted  was used to mean handling it di...

Putting Victimhood Behind You

The primary goal of this site is to help people put victimhood behind them and craft a future of their choosing. "Living well is the best revenge." That doesn't mean you can be anything and everything you want. It does mean you can set goals and make choices. Over time, the things you choose to work at consistently will leave a mark on your life. If you have always been mistreated, you have likely internalized messages and been inculcated with behaviors that help keep you a victim. Abusers do something known as grooming victims. Once groomed to be a good victim, you become an easy mark for other abusive people. In fact, your behavior actively attracts abuse without you realizing it. Research: Victim selection criteria by criminals What Do Sexual Predators Look For When Grooming Victims? Short Circuiting the Victim Selection Process Marked for Mayhem It is possible to unlearn those behaviors. Telling you that you can learn to behave differently isn't blami...