Skip to main content

Run Out Into the Street

This is a blog post. I don't know you and all the details of yoir life. I'm not trying to instruct you to "go play in traffic" and get maimed for life or killed.

Read it and think about it for a bit before you actually do anything.

Some years ago, I read a story. I want to say it was probably an anecdote about a Black American author from, say, a hundred years ago.

Someone told this person she was being beaten by her man and trying to stay quiet so the neighbors in probably something like a boarding house wouldn't hear.

And this famous person told her "Scream. Run out into the street." In other words, stop covering up your abuser's crimes. It amounts to aiding and abetting.

This piece tells a story about when I was homeless because thst was preferable to poverty housing because of my health issues and someone who knew that told me she had no choice but to let her poverty housing make her sick. I knew immediately that was intended to silence me.

Similarly, after I finally got a job during my divorce and moved out of my parent's house, my mother discontinued a supplement I had my father on and he quickly deteriorated. Before I could suggest a cause-and-effect relationship between discontinuing the supplement and his deterioration, she vehemently insisted "Alzheimer's is just like that."

I used to believe that the common practice of parents telling children repeatedly "You will grow up, fall in love with a member of the opposite sex and get married." was ignorant people doing something stupid that happened to have the effect of being homophobic. 

I now think most parents who do that are closeted gay people who suspect their child is gay and want to get some brainwashing in early. No doubt telling themselves it's "To help protect my child."

If people around you want to randomly and repeatedly hang their shit on you, maybe you should rebut it. I try to keep it light and humorous when I'm trying to point out to them and other people their logic has giant holes in it, but this garbage is similar to the idea that predators count on victims being polite and thereby cooperating with being psinted into a corner: The sooner you are "rude," the safer you are.

If you not cooperating gets you violently assaulted, violently assault was always in the cards. Letting them get you alone after convincing onlookers this is a date won't be better. It will be worse.

If you give pushback and they double down, start planning a future with your parents not in the picture if you want to come out the closet. Because they will probably never accept if they are trying to politely and quietly lock you in the closet before you're even dating age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...