Skip to main content

Work

According to this tweet, in 2017 90 percent of trans individuals experienced harassment on the job. More than 77 percent hid their identity, delayed their transition and/or quit their job because of such issues and the unemployment rate among transgender individuals was three times the national average in the US.
If you are LGBTQ, remote work can help reduce social friction in myriad ways. This can make it easier to transition and help keep a trans person both safe and employed so they can support themselves.

Remote work helped Genevieve leave an abusive situation. It also allowed her to relocate a second time when she got into an unexpected pickle that was threatening to be quite dangerous to her.

Prior to being referred to a remote position, she was failing to get a job at all. The fact that she was trans was part of the problem. At one interview, she didn't show them her entire portfolio because she was interviewing as male and some things were done under her female name.

A few remote work resources to help you get started: Some industries are also more LGBTQ-friendly than others. Artists, actors, etc. seem to have an easier time from what I gather in part because the nature of their work puts less pressure on them to "blend".

For some people, simply getting a job far away and moving elsewhere can be an elegant solution to a complex problem. If you have relatives or others in your life who just can't accept you, moving far away with a polite cover story can help move those people out of your life with little or no drama or help you control how much contact you continue to have with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...