Skip to main content

Things I am unlikely to cover on this blog

Things I am unlikely to cover on this blog:

1. Trans rights and military service 
2. Trans rights and sports


Those are not issues I've studied, so I'm not really knowledgeable about them. Unlike a lot of famous jackasses, I don't think it's appropriate for me to share my opinions on a subject that I know too little about and which can hurt people with skin in the game for me to comment on.

As noted by me elsewhere, a lot of people are NOT good at saying "Yes, they are famous, but they are sourcing that info from their ass. Their opinions on THIS subject aren't important." If people were good at that, JK Rowling could not be trolling planet Earth with talking smack about trans issues merely because she's famous.

I'm not trans. I don't really get it and I've said that before on this site. 

I knew of the concept of "gender is a social construct" as a FEMINIST concept that "A lot of this SHIT about having long hair and wearing skirts is something SOCIETY imposes and has nothing at all to do in a meaningful way with being born with girl bits."

It was helpful to me to know Genevieve and also to read comments online by people who say things like "I have beard envy" because I don't WANT to be male. I just have been given shit my entire life for not being petite enough, having a fucking OPINION of my own because I read and such and not being "girly" enough for various stupid reasons, like because I eventually got the tattoo removed from my forehead of "Please wipe your boots here."

I could relate to Genevieve's problem that "There's SOMETHING very very wrong with my life that has something to do with my body and nobody believes me." because of my genetic disorder where I've been treated like a hypochondriac my entire life and even after getting diagnosed, people act like I am making shit up.

I realized she was being HORRIFICALLY abused and eventually concluded she really was trans and the abuse was rooted in people around her having baggage regarding their sexual identity and her very existence triggering people who hadn't bothered to do therapy and sort their shit. 

I think this is the crux of a lot of the drama the LGBTQ crowd has to face and it's complicated by other factors, such as:

1. I think SOME people who THINK they are trans aren't. I think sometimes something else is going on and they don't know a better answer and are landing on THIS as an answer just like I think some people go to nudist colonies because clothes are so badly designed that they don't know how to dress comfortably, can't imagine sorting that out and just would rather be naked than try to sort it out.

2. There are serious problems with the current trend of saying "support trans kids" because the trend is "Let them CHANGE their sex" not "let them DECIDE" so you get young people saying "I want to change my sex" and everyone saying "Rah rah rah, we support that!" And not giving them room to change their mind later, which is a big, big problem for an individual sometimes, one that I hope to eventually figure out how to talk about here.

I try hard to stick to things where I feel confident I'm saying something helpful. 

I don't feel obligated to fix everything for everyone everywhere. I try to stick to what I know.

Unfortunately, people in authority have to draw conclusions so they can make policies and may not have had time to adequately study it.

This is not my department. I'm a blogger, not someone in charge of anything anywhere.

I will continue to try to add value where I've thought things through and feel I know something useful to say. But you should not expect me to be willing to publish personal opinions on every single LGBTQ topic under the sun merely because this blog was born of a desire to add some value for the LGBTQ crowd.

I'm someone with an incomplete BS in Environmental Resource Management with a concentration in Housing as background for my hopeless dream of someday being an urban planner and I have long written about the issue of homelessness in various places.

The LGBTQ crowd is at ridiculously high risk of homelessness. Gay rights are very much an issue you should care about if you want to effectively address homelessness.

I'm a housing solutions advocate but the problem that LGBTQ people have with being at high risk of homelessness is not one that can be solved by merely talking about housing issues.

That's the entire reason this blog was started. I stated that upfront.

I don't feel obligated to address sports or military service here. I don't even feel obligated to study those elements adequately to come up with an INFORMED opinion on those topics and I have concluded that half-baked PERSONAL opinions shouldn't be aired in PUBLIC spaces if you want anyone to take any of your opinions seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...