Skip to main content

Biology and Gender Issues: My 2 Cents

Many years ago, I had a book written by Camille Paglia. I forget the name. I didn't buy it and wasn't that interested in it and didn't finish reading it, largely because the troglodyte who gave it to me had read it first and left CRUMBS in the book.

If my ex-husband ruled the world, that would likely be a hanging offense. Books should be treated better than that.

Anyway, I read enough of it to see her talk about stripping as an art form and her opinion that we don't have male strippers because when men are naked, you can see everything but when a woman is naked, you STILL cannot see her genitals. All you see is a patch of hair. Her genitals remain concealed after she has taken everything off.

Which is a thought-provoking idea that gives a better explanation for "Why do we have female strippers but mostly don't have male strippers?" than your typical assumptions about men having money and power and women being merely sex objects.

I'm a very hetero-passing woman who is 99 percent interested in men. In recent decades, my romantic relationships have been with men.

The vast majority of men do not like me initiating anything, which is sort of amusing because of the number of people who see me as very aggressive and attractive because of it and, yet, they STILL do NOT want me initiating in the vast majority of cases. I've known two men who told me I needed to "ask" and I'm inclined to think both were making up bullshit justifications for their refusal to meet my needs.

Everyone else is completely happy that I am willing to make myself available when they want attention. That works for them.

After much thought, I have concluded that this isn't because "Men have money and power and just treat women as sex objects" or similar stereotypes. I have concluded men don't want me to, say, call them and give them a boner when they are about to go to an important meeting or are walking around in public.

And I have begun to wonder if this detail explains a lot of stereotypical "personality" differences between men and women generally. I have even begun to wonder if the male need to have control over when and where they get all hot bothered -- because it SHOWS on a man more than a woman -- is a root cause of behaviors associated with "assholes with money and power" and if this control-freak tendency helps foster the development of male power rather than the power men tend to have being what fosters "asshole control-freak behaviors."

I am in some ways very traditionally feminine. I'm pretty happy to be accommodating of his quirks and schedule if he's making me happy.

But it's such a consistent pattern that I couldn't help but wonder why and I generally don't much like a lot of our stereotypically "Men are just all assholes" unthinking answers about so-called sexism and other gendered issues. So this is my tentative conclusion on the matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...