Skip to main content

Fear and Self Loathing

According to oral tradition, my father was 1/16th Cherokee. Although only one generation removed from the "1/8th" cut off point that would have a lot of Americans view him as a dirty Injun, he managed to be very White-passing.
One day when my husband and I were visiting my folks, my dad told a racist joke to my husband. My very polite, quiet husband very respectfully said "Mr. Stanfield, I don't appreciate that kind of humor."

My father never again told my husband a racist joke. Dad also never again told ME one.

Between THIS incident and another one (linked below), I eventually decided that racial stuff was not my parenting department. The kids could go see their daddy about such topics.
I felt kicked in the gut because I didn't think of myself as racist. I thought I had managed to not drink the koolaid while growing up in the Deep South. I thought I was better than that.
It was only after my father died that I saw a photo of a full-blooded Iroquois actor that looked eerily like my father. Before that, I thought of my father as looking kind of like Archie Bunker and I thought of him as very stereotypically White working class older guy.

Some time after seeing that photo I concluded that most likely my father told racist jokes to distance himself from his Native heritage, to convince people he was White and wasn't "one of them."

Similarly, I have come to believe that some of the worst homophobes are homosexuals trying desperately to stay in the closet.

If that's YOU and you KNOW it, start here: Threat Assessment and Reassessment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...