Skip to main content

If a tree falls in a forest and makes no sound, still it falls.

The English Bible says "The meek shall inherit the Earth." I have heard that in French it says "The nonchalant shall inherit the Earth."

I grew up in a bilingual home, so if I squint a little, I can see how those are intended to say the same thing but they really don't. I like the French framing vastly better.

Meek reads as spineless. It reads as never standing up for oneself. It comes across like you should let abusive assholes hurt you and then wait for God to set things right because you are so NICE, so you deserve better.

In contrast, nonchalant suggests that you should stand up for yourself but without making a stink unnecessarily.

Understand that no matter how polite and reserved you are, if you stand up for yourself, some people will not like it.

What is this post about? It's about The Pronoun Problem.

I am not trans but I do post as openly female on a predominantly male forum. It was about 98 percent male when I originally joined it, so posting as openly female has at times been ridiculous amounts of drama for just not being male.

Over the years, I have thought a lot about how to handle that and have thought a lot about what to do if someone misgenders me in specific. The TLDR is:
There are better ways for people to learn that I'm a woman than nitpicking nice comments whose only flaw is they assumed I was one of the guys on an overwhelmingly male forum because I fit in so well. That's about the worst possible way to educate people about that detail.
And the longer version -- which the above quote is a small snippet of -- can be found here: It Seems My Silence was Heard.

This is NOT intended to lecture you and tell you that You are doing it wrong! It is intended as food for thought in hopes of helping you up your game and get betterer results in the future than what you have gotten so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...