Skip to main content

Transitioning Your Look: A Postponed Adolescent Experience

A reply to a question from a trans person wanting to get their hair dyed:
I have a few trans friends, and every single one of them colored their hair dramatically at some point early in the transition / living out as a woman process. I never would have told them at the time, but to me it always called more attention to the fact that they were trans and detracted from the "passing" because it looked like a costume they were trying on instead of just being themselves.

It's like they were going through the teenage girl process but as much older women, which I TOTALLY understand, but it wasn't exactly doing them any favors. -- Source
There is a lot of truth to the idea that gender is a social construct. For cishet individuals, dressing like one gender or the other and "passing" for one gender or the other is rooted in a literal lifetime of being trained in how that gender is supposed to present itself for a particular culture.

Another phrase from a different reply to the above question is the culture of femininity. The MtF trans individual was trying to cross a cultural barrier, trying to move from a culture of masculinity to a culture of femininity.

Gender presentation is a kind of culture within a culture. Historically, there have been very big taboos on crossing the invisible barrier that separates the two. It's still a hot button issue, but not as drastically as it once was.

But the point I want to make is that even when someone is cishet and has been trained in the culture of their gender from birth, they typically transition from childhood to adulthood via an awkward adolescent phase. Their body is changing and their role in life is changing and they try various things out that often don't fit them especially well, both literally and metaphorically.

You may need a lot of practice before getting your look right. You shouldn't be too hard on yourself.

You also shouldn't immediately assume that it's the fault of your body. It may be due to being left out of the culture of feminity/masculinity for so many years.

Don't expect to get everything right on the first try. No one does, not even the people who were raised in the gender culture that fits their gender identity.

Try to set aside time for trying on a zillion outfits, trying out different hairstyles, etc. Try to find ways to try things on for size temporarily first in case you don't like it. For example, a wig or temporary hair dye instead of a drastic hairstyle or permanent hair dye can let you try it out without committing to it.

But also remember that if you do cut it or dye it and it goes badly, it will grow out and you will get another chance. Having a dreadful haircut you hate at least once in life seems to be a very normal experience the world over.

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...