Skip to main content

Mom, I Need to Be a Girl

"Mom, I need to be a girl" was written by the mother of a MtF trans teen who transitioned over the course of about three years. It describes a best case scenario where the immediate family was very supportive and things overall went well.

If you are a parent of a trans youth, I highly recommend it as a template for trying to set the bar very high on handling this in a sensitive and practical manner. It's an excellent reference in such cases.

If you are a trans youth looking for resources, then a word of caution is in order: Do not assume you can emulate things Danielle did and get similar outcomes. If your family is not accepting of you, following Danielle's script won't make them accept you.

Danielle got enormous support because she was fortunate to be born into a very loving family. There is no magic in how she chose to talk to her family.

Genevieve thought if she came out to her parents the way Danielle had, things would go well for her, like they had for Danielle. But Genevieve's parents had apparently always been abusive.

So when Genevieve came out as trans, the abuse escalated and now they had a new excuse to blame her for it. They blamed it on her being trans.

Wikipedia gives a short overview of this excellent resource. The original work is available online for free as a PDF.

Popular posts from this blog

Anger Management

I was molested and raped as a child. I spent my teens and twenties filled with anger. My therapist once said something like "How did I know you were angry? Maybe it was the flames shooting out your ears." He wasn't actually talking about me. He was describing someone else. But he could have been talking about me. I took up role playing gaming in my teens and my first character was a Red Sonja-esque character with long red tresses. She was a fighter mage and she had issues. Gaming was good for me. I made a lot of friends and they were mostly male and they were protective of me. I began to put down my baggage. At some point, I retired that first character because she was so angry and toxic and I wasn't anymore. Playing her required me to put back on the mantel of so much baggage that I had worked hard to put down and it wasn't good for me to keep that alive. In my late twenties, me and my husband bought a house and it was about thirty minutes from the ...

Another think

And another reason to not REALLY be enthused about continuing to write here: I'm very very very against trying to "cure" people of being gay, but I suspect that some people who think they are gay are really attracted to people who have enough of something in common with them and they just aren't finding it in members of the opposite sex. Some chick on probably Reddit remarked once that she was beginning to worry she liked bad guys and then realized all the bad guys in movies she liked were played by the same actor. She liked that actor in any role he played, bad guy or not. During my divorce, I was involved with a man fourteen years older than me and about the time I was thinking "This is a shit show and I'm NEVER getting with an older man again." I met a guy sixteen years older than me and we really hit it off. I have B.A.G.G.A.G.E about my tendency to like older men. It took me a long time to sort that and not feel like me liking older men somehow was ...

Actionable Advice

I had a very private life. I tend to think first about what individuals can do. This post is reframing this blog as more explicitly political or about large scale social things. Goal One Remove all child molesters from positions of moral authority. If you are pro LGBTQ rights, I think the SINGLE most important thing you can work on is putting child molester priests (preachers, Rabbis, etc) in prison for their crimes. That's a previously published unsupported Opinion . Here's an attempt to support or explain that opinion. I don't know how well I say it, but I have a piece called Trauma and being LGBTQ  and it's probably not the only place I try to say that I believe that: 1. 2000 percent of humanity has BAGGAGE about sexual and gender stuff. 2. Simply BEING LGBTQ tends to trigger everyone you meet about their issues and then they take it out on you. Christianity trends extremely homophobic and the entire PLANET knows the Catholic Church has a POLICY of moving child moles...